Monday, September 7, 2015

The Swedish Sambo Visa in 2015 Part 1: What is it?

This topic will require several installments, as well as full disclosure that I am still figuring it out, piece by piece. Given that I am only little more than half way through the process (8 months and counting), I can't speak with full authority on how this will all shake out.  But I have 8 months under my belt, and have spoken to Migrationsverket ("MV") enough times to ensure they hate me, so I might as well share what I have learned about the Swedish Sambo Visa.

EDIT: A reminder that this is the overview for NON-EU CITIZEN APPLICANTS.  EU citizens have a whole different process.  Read more about it on MV's website here.

"Sambo" is short for the Swedish noun "samboende", which translates to, "cohabitation" (sam = same, boende = place of living). The Swedish sambo visa grants temporary residence ("uppehållstillstånd", or UT for short) to non-EU citizens on the basis of a relationship.  You must be able to prove the validity of that relationship (via call logs, photographs, plane tickets to visit one another, and the like).  You must be able to prove you have visited each other in person, and you will be required to cohabitate starting Day 1.

In order to apply for this visa, you would visit the Migrationsverket website (click here to be redirected), and follow the links.  The form is very clear and easy.  You will fill out your portion and submit it with a fee, a copy of your passport, and a legally-supported document showing you are single / unmarried.  For US Residents, a copy of your most recent tax return is generally sufficient.  Then, your partner will be emailed with a link and invited to fill out their part of the application. Then they submit it, and your process is now underway.

When you apply, your first step will be to verify you are outside of Sweden, and to create a login/password so you can save your application and continue working on it later, as need be:



That is the easy part.

The hard part is the unending, inescapable wait -- but we will get to this later.

Notes about the application
  • You must file your application OUTSIDE OF SWEDEN.  If you file it within Sweden, you will be rejected.  You need to return to your country of citizenship, or the country in which you have permanent legal residence.  It is only there that you may have your interview at the embassy, and after your interview, you cannot go back into Sweden until you have your decision or else your application runs a risk of rejection based on the Swedish Alien's Act.  If you do want to enter Sweden after your interview, you must notify MV - they will place a hold on processing your application until you have come and gone.  It's a matter of whether you want to extend your wait or not, I suppose.  I discuss this in more detail in Part 2.
  • DO NOT SUBMIT A PAPER APPLICATION.  The wait times increase exponentially.  File electronically, and make sure you submit exactly what they ask for. 
  • As an American, when it came to my "Single Status Declaration", I submitted my last 2 years worth of W-2 forms, as well as a notarized statement declaring I am single and also not widowed/divorced.  I drafted a Word document template based off of the content from this Single Status Affidavit for Georgia (I live in Los Angeles, and couldn't find any record that worked).  And then I had this document professionally notarized.  I didn't want to take any chances.
  • Only submit exactly what they ask for.  In the first part of your application, you need only submit the information they have requested.  Do not submit any photographs, flight stubs, or anything else.  Your time will come to submit that all, later.  Give them only what they ask for, and EVERYTHING that they ask for, in full completion.... lest you cause your application to require further investigation and increase your wait time.
  • Legal texts, if you're the researching type:
    • We received so much conflicting information during our application process, that I decided to just dive into the legal texts myself to "see the forest for all the trees", as we say here.  Here are some resources in English discussing the Swedish Alien's Act (Chapter 5 Section 3 discusses the residence permits on grounds of relationship):
      • Conditions for Family Reunification in The European Union: Sweden
        • You may note that there is explicit law on page 15 stating that an application must receive a decision within 9 months of submission... however that the time period can be extended for "other reasons", and there are no consequences to any party involved if the time period is exceeded. Just bear that in mind.
      • Swedish Code of Statutes from LegislationOnline.org
        • This will open as a PDF, but it is the official document, and in Chapter 5 Section 18, it clearly indicates that an alien must apply outside of Sweden (however there are some exceptions listed)
There are also a couple caveats to this.  First of all, bear in mind this is just for a SAMBO VISA.  Other rules apply for work visas, asylum applications, etc.  This also only applies to non-EU citizens.  If you have legal residence or citizenship in the EU, you have the Right to Movement, and can go to Sweden directly.  Also, there are rare instances where MV will consider speeding up your application on the grounds of things such as pregnancy, terminal illnesses and the like. EDIT (21 December 2015): In October 2015, MV took away the ability to file for priority status.  However, they will still review cases on a rare basis.  You may also try to have your partner apply from within Sweden on the basis of being pregnant or having children together, but you will need to meet specific requirements.  For more information on that, read the sections on "If you have or are expecting children" on MV's website here.

Next up.... our experience so far with the process!

18 comments:

  1. hello thank you for ur breif detailed explanation , i just have a problem saving my informations while filling in the application because everytime i log out and come back again everything disappeares and then i have to start all over again ! i dont know why ?! do u have some ideas u might help me with ? thank u

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Simo!! You know, I've heard of that happening to people before, as well. Their online platform is actually pretty new - I think it's only been around for a year? In any event, it seems to have bugs occasionally. It's been a little while since I originally filled out my application so I don't 100% remember the details, but each time you fill out a page, are you offered the option to save your progress before logging out? And if so... is the whole entire application blank when you return and log back in??

      Delete
  2. Hi I am from India and applied to move with my swedish partner on August 28th 2014 and in your blog I read that the decision has been made on October 19th 2015 but havent had any email or when I check online it reads as decision pending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Anonymous!

      First of all - I feel your pain :( There seems to be something a bit random about the wait times and how long some people need to wait. In our support group, last week we saw two of our couples get their decisions - one couple applied on 5 October 2014 and got the decision on 17 November 2015, and the other couple applied before that (28 September) and received a decision later (20 November). I'm not 100% sure as to why some people receive their decisions before others... but I think for people who are waiting longer than 14-15 months for their decision, there is clearly something else going on there.

      Have you called / written MV to see why your application has not received a decision yet? Have they asked you for more information? Did you apply from within Sweden while on a work or study permit? These all can influence the ultimate timing of the decision.

      May I ask for your permission to add you to our waiting times list? You can see the current list here: http://hejaherrljunga.blogspot.com/2015/11/the-swedish-sambo-visa-in-2015-part-7b.html

      Delete
    2. Can apply without entry in sweden she came to me in November for 10 days in india

      Delete
  3. lyn umeulizwa information gani... maze niko stuck hapa application yangu kwanzia nov 2017 :( am hapoy for u dada

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello from Bosnia!
    Do i have to fill my application on my computer or i can do it on my phone too? I think that on the MV site says I must do it on my computer, but for me its easier to do it on my phone, so i just want to get sure.
    And as for the certificate that proves i am not married, does it need to be validated by the apostille stamp or is it enough the stamp of the court interpreter? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! I am so sorry it took me so long to respond... I have been so crazy busy :) I wanted to know if you had gotten this resolved? Were you able to try to do it by phone?? I would assume you could at least do PART of it by phone, but there is so much typing involved, that at some point you may wish to log on and complete it from a computer.

      As for the single status document, I always suggest that people get their paperwork notarized and apostilled. Even coming from the USA, I did the same thing. Anything to make sure MV knows that the document is real and 100% certified is the best way to go!! I know marriage certificates need to be apostilled, so I see no harm in doing the same for a document saying you *aren't* married :)

      Delete
  5. Hi,I am a German citizen who will study in Sweden for two years. I want to bring my Ecuadorian boyfriend to Sweden through this Visa. Is that possible?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there!

      Unfortunately, you cannot. The "sambo visa" (residence permit) is only for the non-EU boyfriends/girlfriends, husbands/wives or common law spouses of Swedish citizens or those living in Sweden on permanent residency.

      In your case, you have two different options but they come with "strings attached". In either case, you will either need to be married to your boyfriend or prove you two have loved together (currently) for at least 6 months. Additionally, you will need to meet maintenance requirements to prove you can support your partner in order to get a residence permit for them.

      The first route you can go is to bring him in as your husband or common law spouse (living together for at least 6 months) and he can stay for as long as your study permit is valid assuming you guys can meet the requirements: https://www.migrationsverket.se/English/Private-individuals/Studying-in-Sweden/Universities-and-university-college/Permits-for-family-members.html

      The second option is for you to bring him in as your husband or common law spouse as an EU citizen exercising your Right of Residence, in which case he would obtain a residence *card* (not a residence *permit*), assuming you can meet the appropriate requirements. More info on that can be found here: http://www.migrationsverket.se/English/Private-individuals/EU-citizens-and-long-term-residents/Work-study-or-live-in-Sweden-for-EU-citizens/Residence-cards-for-family-who-are-non-EU-citizens.html

      For the record, it used to be a rule that as an EU citizen, if you couldn't meet the requirements for a residence *card*, you COULD apply for a residence *permit* (which is the sambo visa I write about), however the law changed on July 9 of this year and removed this possibility :/ More about that can be read here: http://www.migrationsverket.se/English/Private-individuals/Moving-to-someone-in-Sweden/Nyheter/2016-07-19-New-rules-for-individuals-applying-for-a-residence-permit-with-reference-to-close-family-ties-to-a-person-with-right-of-residence.html

      Delete
    2. Ha, I just re-read my post; that should have said "*lived together", not "loved together" :D Sorry for the typo!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Meg,
    Im a Non-EU resident and currently living in with my Swedish Boyfriend now. Mybplan is to hve someone apply for me in my country and as soon as we received the invitation for interview that's the only time I'll go back to my country and wait for the result. We are now completing my requirements and will register our partnership as well to the tax commission office. Do you think this will work? Thank you in advance

    ReplyDelete

  8. Thank you for this blog post it actually couldn't have come at a better time for me !!


    Masters in Sweden

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! Hope all is well.
    I saw your page via google and answered some concerns of a filipina.

    So my situation is I have been abandoned by my husband for almost two years now. No contact/financial support and etc.

    After my husband abandoned me, I met a swedish national here the philippines and became friends then after few months we became in a relationship. We are in a relationship for a year now.

    Now, he decided to get me a sambo visa and come here again in the Philippines next year to process the documents.

    Do i need to get annulled first before he can take me to sweden? What proof do we need to show to the embassy that i’m not together with my husband anymore ? What do we need (me and my swedish bf) need to show as a proof that we are serious in our relationship. Thank you

    Hope to hearing back from you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoyed reading this fantastic blog.. Foreign travelers who wish to travel to Azerbaijan need to apply for e visa to Azerbaijan online that provide the fast and secure visa services.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing such informative blog on the Swedish Sambo Visa. It will definitely help the reader increase their knowledge. We would also to like to add to this and  request to check our page, as our services is one of the best among overseas education consultants in Bangalore.

    ReplyDelete